Anyta Sunday's Reviews > In Search of Saints

In Search of Saints by Harper Fox

Sep 07, 2012

Read from September 04 to 07, 2012

This short novella had me almost to the point of squealing. Yeah, it wasn’t pretty to listen to, but jeez was I deliciously giddy on the inside. I just couldn’t help it; I was so freaking excited to read another Harper Fox story.

And I was NOT disappointed. There are hit-and-miss authors out there, but I’m getting solid ‘Wows’ with each story of hers I try.

Okay, so for this review, I want to state that, despite giddy squealing, I was a little anxious as to how this story would play out as the two main characters (and love interests) are already together at the start of the story. I wondered then how Mrs. Harper would keep the tension and suspense.

She was clever. (Of course—I’ve come to expect nothing less). While Mitch and Owen are together physically at the start of the book, Mitch is far and away from being emotionally attached as he is still hung up on his ex, who betrayed him, not only by leaving him, but stealing his research as well.

Very quickly, the author shows us the obstacles between Mitch and Owen and their HEA, with Owen quickly drawing away from Mitch. This gives the story a separation-reunion theme that resonates deep. I longed for Mitch to recognize the intimacy he had with Owen, to see what a beautiful person he was. That longing drove the tension and suspense, and it was wonderful.

This story had something else going for it that I really liked—a touch of the mystical. That might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I found just a hint of the paranormal/magical in this story to give it a little something special, an extra dimension to the story, if you will. And to me it made the climax just right, tying in the relationship developments and the setting, where Mitch is trying to prove his archeological theory and find the ‘saints’ before his ex does.

Short, emotional read. Loved it. Recommend.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Saints.

09/05/2012
20.0% "I love you Harper Fox. Seriously. Your writing just hits the spot(s)."