Melissa 's Reviews > The Prophet of Yonwood

The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

Dec 23, 08

bookshelves: teen-fantasy, teen-general-fiction, teen-sci-fi, with-reviews, teen-dystopian-future
Recommended for: city of ember fans
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The third book in the series Book of Ember, which originated with the City of Ember was a bit of a disappointment for me. The book was okay, but it seemed extremely preachy. The book takes place before the events in the City of Ember and before the disaster that forced people to consider moving into the city underground. The connection to the City of Ember was very remote--you don't even see that connection until the very end of the book.

A woman of the town of Yonwood has a firey vision of destruction that leaves her incapacitated. A woman in the town Mrs. Beeson interprets the garbled messages of the "prophet" and is on a quest to eliminate sinners. Unfortunately, Mrs. Beeson has the sole responsibility of determining what is a sin and what isn't while she passes on the prophets newest proclaimations.

I think what I didn't like about this book was the depiction of religion. Although the author did try to clarify true religion from Mrs. Beeson's extremist views, I felt that that message occurred a little too late to be useful.

Cautions for sensitive readers: This book can be a bit political if you look at it from that perspective. There is no sex, language, or violence in this book, although you know a war is on the horizon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet of Yonwood.

12/15/2008 page 50
17.3% "Not as engaging as the first book. I know this is a prequel, but I believe the author could get to the point sooner."
12/18/2008 page 136
47.06% "There isn't much of a connection to the other books. I am starting to agree with what other readers have said about it being too preachy."
show 5 hidden updates…