Christy (Novel Ink)'s Reviews > Sheltered

Sheltered by Debra Chapoton

Aug 29, 2012

Read in August, 2012

First off, I have to say that I love the Preface for this book. Sheltered deals with quite a few serious issues, so I love that we get statistics at the beginning of the book so we, as readers understand just how severe those issues are, I think by reading these statistics it makes more of an impact.

Sheltered follows the lives of six teenagers, Ben, Adam, Chuck, Cori, Emily and Megan, who are all living in the same group home. Each of them are far from perfect, they each secretly have their own problems that they are dealing with.

Ben is kind of the leader of the house. Even though everyone thinks that they have a house mother, Mrs. Kremer, that they never see, really it’s Ben who does everything and makes sure that they are all taken care of. I have to admit that Ben is a pretty smart guy; I mean I would never have thought to stake out bars and pay women to pretend to be Mrs. Kremer so that the new house tenants don’t get suspicious when they don’t see an adult around.

There is a lot more going on in the house than just mood swings and drama that you would expect with six teenagers living together under the same roof and it isn’t long after Megan moves in that weird, unexplainable things start happening.

Sheltered is a quick but intense read. The characters felt very real and had genuine problems that they were dealing with and because of this; it made it very easy to sympathize with them. If you aren’t bothered by disturbing issues like suicide or self-mutilation, then this is definitely a book that you should read.

*This book
was provided to me free of charge by the author for an honest review*

* All opinions are my own*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheltered.