Brianna's Reviews > Blood And Gold

Blood And Gold by Anne Rice

Dec 14, 08

Read in October, 2002

The first Anne Rice book I read was The Mummy or Ramses the Damned. I was in the 8th grade. I loved it, and tried to read Interview with the Vampire but never finished it.
Almost five years later, I was in Sestriere, Italy, a small mountain town outside of Torino, near the French and Swiss borders. I was there for almost a week, and it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my entire life. I could spend hundreds of words describing it all, but I'm getting off track. It was the end of my European jaunt with Nana, and I had exhausted the last of my cache of books on the train from Milan to Torino. I raided Nana's, and the only applealing option was the newest Anne Rice paperback, Blood and Gold.
I curled up in my bed with my new book, not exactly looking forward to it, but knowing it was better than nothing. But once I started, I couldn't stop, and finished it sometime around 4 am the next morning. I can't explain how I could suddenly be completely sucked in to this world, but when I got home, I raided my friend's collection of Vampire Chronicle books.
I've read them all, except Interview. That confuses many people, but I just can't get into it. All four main characters - Louis, Lestat, Claudia and Daniel - appear in other books, I'm familiar with the plot points, and don't think it's necessary. I just really don't think it's a very good book. I much prefer the characters' appearances in the other books.
I've loved many of the other selections in the series, but none quite as much as I love Blood and Gold. For me, it's the true last contribution to the Vampire Chronicles, even though two or three more books were published. (Those stories were Mayfair Witches crossovers, and I did not enjoy them very much.) It's Marius' story, and he and Armand are by far my favorite of the characters (followed closely by Lestat, who also plays a big role in Marius' story). Marius is very close to being the oldest vampire of the group, so his maturity and authority are to be expected. However, his immaturity and childishness are surprising elements, and those unforeseen qualities are some the reasons he is so interesting to read about. I've read it three times so far, and if I could give it another star, I would.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood And Gold.

Michael Bracero One of my top ten books of all time.

Michael Bracero One of my top ten books of all time.

Susan O'neal I really enjoyed it, it just Felt different than the others.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura I've only read up to Memnoch the Devil (and only because I was reading them as they were being released and I got sick of waiting and forgot about them), but I never read Interview with the Vampire either. People always think I'm weird.

Brianna Laura wrote: "I've only read up to Memnoch the Devil (and only because I was reading them as they were being released and I got sick of waiting and forgot about them), but I never read Interview with the Vampire..."

I dropped off the Anne Rice train myself when she tied the series into the Mayfair witches story. I read them, but barely remember them, and I didn't enjoy them. I still love this book, though, and remember it fondly.

I just read that she's writing another Chronicle book, a sort of sequel to Queen of the Damned. I've got to admit that I'm intrigued!