Ryan Lawler's Reviews > Katya's World

Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard

Nov 03, 12

Read from August 26 to September 21, 2012

Full Review at http://fantasybookreview.co.uk

Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard is a sci-fi YA novel, and probably my favourite book so far from the guys over at Strange Chemistry. Set in the far future and focused on a Russian colony who have managed to colonise a completely underwater world, Howard dares to take his YA audience into the realms of "hard sci-fi" and "space opera". It's a combination of genre's that on the surface seems unlikely to work, but Howard shows a deft touch in writing a story that takes sci-fi elements and makes them understandable without dumbing down their complexity or patronising the target audience.

I really had a lot of fun reading Katya's World, and I think for those people looking to get into the sci-fi genre then this may prove to be an effective gateway novel. I'm really looking forward to seeing where Howard takes this story in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katya's World.

08/26/2012 page 110
09/17/2012 page 195
57.0% "Kind of like hard SF that has been backed off a little so that it can be understood by its target audience (YA). I would say this is a book full of well researched science, well posited science fiction ideas, good plotting, but inconsistent characterisation"