Kristen's Reviews > Dangerous to Know

Dangerous to Know by Tasha Alexander

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery
Read from July 17 to 20, 2012

The Lady Emily Books are well done popcorn books - which is how I tend to describe a fun, quick read. Tasha Alexander takes care with her history. She tweaks what is necessary for the story, of course, but it's obvious she's done her homework. I adore the characters of Lady Emily and Colin and their growing relationship. And, while it occasionally make Emily a frustrating character, I truly appreciate that Alexander has taken pains not to just make Lady Emily a 21st century woman in a Victorian corset. She is an enlightened woman who is always thinking, learning and progressing, but is still very much a woman of her era. It not going to occur to her to question every social norm and constraint and she makes her decisions accordingly. Alexander's supporting characters are delightful! The mysteries are always a little easy to solve, but such is often the case with mystery novels. Basically, when I want to spend a few hours immersing myself in utterly charming characters saying witty, charming things, this is my favorite series to turn to of late.

Regarding Dangerous to Know specifically, the mystery was good and the return of two beloved supporting characters in particular was delightful. I found the use of Colin's mother's diary entries for the epistolary component of the novel interesting as this is the first time we've read third person descriptions of Emily that are not complimentary. It adds another level to the story and sets up another great, hopefully recurring, character. The only thing I didn't like were the rough patches in Colin and Emily's relationship. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a necessary story arc, was handled well, and helped demonstrate once again that although our characters are enlightened, they are still very much of their own era, not ours. But at the same time, I don't enjoy reading about them on the outs nearly as much as their flirtatious bliss. I imagine that, once I pick up the next book, I will like it better for this reason.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous to Know.