Alex's Reviews > If the Buddha Dated: A Handbook for Finding Love on a Spiritual Path

If the Buddha Dated by Charlotte Kasl

Aug 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 26 to September 08, 2012

This book caught my eye on the shelf at an interesting time: an intriguing character had just entered my life and then left just as quickly, after entrancing me with his spirituality and shocking me with his dismissal and disappearance. A truly inspiring conversation with this person led me to consider an approach to life that welcomes the present moment and opens myself to the possibilities around me for love — in essence, the message of If the Buddha Dated.

One thing that made the material in Kasl's "handbook" hard to digest was the unclear structure and a lack of relatable examples. She elaborates on the experiences of many couples and individuals, but their realism doesn't truly resonate with the reader, because the characters, as it were, are so far removed from us. This was, at least, my opinion. As such, many of the examples were forgettable, but the main takeaway for me had several levels: 1) love will be ready for you when you are ready for it; 2) refuting expectations in life is difficult but necessary for fulfillment; and 3) the principles of Buddhism and Sufism appeal to me very much, spiritually.

If the Buddha Dated was an excellent gateway to spiritual thought for me, and I think it has started me down a meaningful new path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If the Buddha Dated.

03/02 marked as: read