Janet's Reviews > The English Major

Dec 14, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2009

I really loved the author's "Returning to Earth" and when I saw he had a new book out, I jumped on it. And while I saw some similar elements in this story--namely, Michigan and Native American references, I didn't like the main character in the way I liked the last ones. This guy was a dirty old man and made far too many references to his dick. Totally turned me off! And it's too bad, because it's such a lovely premise--divorced older man hits the road to visit each of the United States.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English Major.

message 1: by elissa (new)

elissa Sounds like a guy book! Dick references probably wouldn't even be noticed by men. :)

Connie Gunderson agree completely. all the dick references were sophomoric.

Matthew Andersen thats what ya got from cliff, "a dirty old man?"
drive around. find the bars, the farms, and the dramatic california-wanna-be wives. then you will find folks like cliff and he'll make enjoyable sense.

message 4: by Quo (new)

Quo I agree completely that the characters & author seemed rather one-track, so limited that they (male & female alike) appeared like caricatures & with almost no sense of the various landscapes being traversed.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Keefer Good Pickdickian tail. Seriously, I'm not quite sure why I finished this book. Was there anyone likable in it? I'm not into nature all that much or long trips in my car. I was an English teacher, but Thoreau and Emerson weren't writers I am all that interested in. Every now and then something witty was written.

Many women mentioned how Harrison was always talking about his dick. He mentioned women's butts along with it. If I was a woman, neither would bother me half as much as the main women in the story.

Viv, in my opinion, was a wife from hell. She had no redeeming qualities that I could tell. She wanted him back to take care of her.

Marybelle mentioned his dick almost as often as he did and seemed like a user.

Sylvia posed knowing the men weren't actually painters for cash .... Because her mother was a thief and gambler.

Cliff was a magnet for lousy women.

I wonder why Harrison couldn't create one positive female character.

But I did finish the book. I don't always do that.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marybelle mentioned his dick almost as often as he did and seemed like a user.

Cliff was a magnet for lousy women.

I wonder why Harrison couldn't create one positive female character.

But I did finish the book. I don't always do that.