Jay's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Sep 02, 12

liked it
bookshelves: business, audiobook
Read from August 26 to September 02, 2012

Collection of topics relating to introversion. Typical of these kinds of books combining the author's personal anecdotes and descriptions of research and what it means. After having read dozens of these kinds of books over the past few years, this one underwhelmed me during the bulk of the book, but redeemed itself somewhat at the end, with some specific recommendations to parents of introverted children and a good summary. I listened to the audio and found it a bit too monotonous -- I wouldn't recommend the audio. From a business perspective, a couple of takeaways include asking for creative ideas individually before sharing with a group, giving the introverted the environment that allows for their participation. Also, there's some discussion of how open office plans don't help the introverted work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Nice article. My daughter is in college - and based on her comments she is trying the different learning and studying environments - group study, study in library carrels, etc. Thank goodness she still has those choices where she goes to school.

Brian Eshleman Ironic that the college environment that we picture at the last refuge for quiet reflection before heading out into the world tends to be so noisy and distracting. The Atlantic is reliably thought-provoking. I set up Google alerts on the books that I read in order to keep them circulating in my brain, and I always LOVE to get one from that site.