karen's Reviews > There is a Bird on Your Head!

There is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems

Oct 12, 14

bookshelves: oh-no-biiiiiiirds, kiddiwinx, les-animaux

this book misses a five-star rating because i dont like the art in it, even though i usually love his art. however, im glad to see a childrens book that recognizes the evil of birds, and how arrogant and cruel they can be. the title alone gives me chills...
23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There is a Bird on Your Head!.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine How can birds be "arrogant"? They don't have the brains for that. They operate mostly on biologically determined instinct. They have none of the brain structures which allow thinking about oneself much less thinking about others. If you want arrogance, how about humans who feel they have the right to cause pain to sensate creatures just because they can.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Karen. Quit inflicting pain on birds! They read your review and now their feelings are hurt!!!

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell If you want arrogance, how about humans who feel they have the right to cause pain to sensate creatures just because they can.

That's very true, but There's a Human on Your Head just is not a catchy title. So you can see the bind Willems was in. Overall, I think he made the right choice, if not the biologically correct one, at least the aesthetically correct one.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg That's what the birds want you to think, maybe they think more about others than themselves, but those thoughts are sadistic and violent thoughts about how to wreck havoc and kill and/or maim anything that gets in their path.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My students love this book, by the way. They LOVE it when he screams. I mean, I kinda play that part up, but they totally giggle.

karen wow. i didnt realize this would spin out of control so quickly. birds will kill you in your sleep given the chance. birds are behind most of the major "natural" disasters of the last hundred years or so. birds hate your mom. end of story.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Greg wrote: "That's what the birds want you to think, maybe they think more about others than themselves, but those thoughts are sadistic and violent thoughts about how to wreck havoc and kill and/or maim anyth..."

Dave wrote: "If you want arrogance, how about humans who feel they have the right to cause pain to sensate creatures just because they can.

That's very true, but There's a Human on Your Head just is not a catc..."

Dave,
I wasn't commenting on the choice or art of the book itself, but on Karen's attributing human behavior on birds apart from their artistic representation. I always loved Peter Rabbit, although I know he wouldn't drink camomile tea and Mother Rabbit wouldn't be caring for him as she did. Using animals as avatars is fine, but actually believing they operate as humans do is not and leads to much cruelty towards animals.

message 2: by Mariel (new)

Mariel That bird is going to take an enormous dump on that head. That's my experience.

karen ha!! i wish that was the ending...

fair warning after all..