Nicole's Reviews > Liar & Spy

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Aug 26, 12

6th, 7th, 8th Stead knows how to perfectly write from 7th grade Georges' perspective. The inner dialogue is right on. I loved the volleyball sequence where Georges is counting rotations until he is up for serve again, and dreading it, praying for the bell to end class before it reaches him. That was me in volleyball! I couldn't put this book down, there is so much packed in to this story. The way Georges' father brings things to Georges' mother while she is working at the hospital does set us up for more to be revealed at the end of the book, but not in any sort of way that diminishes the power at the end of this story. The relationships Georges' forms with some of the kids in his new building are well developed to make this story seem much deeper than it's 192 pages might suggest. I was crying at the end, one line just got me, and I still can't figure out why. Can't share it now though, since some of you have yet to experience it! I am recommending this to 6+ as a read aloud. So many discussion points, in fact, more than you could ever get to without killing the flow of the book. Loved it more than When You Reach Me. And, when Georges finds the note under his pillow from Safer it felt like Stead was smiling a little...here we go again...? Nope :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar & Spy.