Octobercountry's Reviews > The Obsidian Blade

The Obsidian Blade by Pete Hautman

Aug 26, 12

Last night I stayed up MUCH too late reading The Obsidian Blade by Pete Hautman. This was one of those books that I started and then simply didn't put down until I had finished.

Wow, where to start. This is one of those time-travel stories that ties your mind into knots---but in a good way!--- as you try to figure out just what is happening and how the time streams affect one another. I thought it was fascinating, but how to describe it. Hmmmmm... well, perhaps you can combine bits of Margaret J. Anderson's Time Trilogy and the Withern Rise stories by Michael Lawrence, add just a dash of Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock, and then mix in a little William Sleator and Alexander Key.

As I said, I couldn't stop reading. The only drawback of this book is that it's simply the first part in a longer trilogy---that is to say, it doesn't stand on its own with a proper ending. I've noted before that I much prefer series books that each contain a proper beginning/middle/end. I think that if an author is going to basically publish one long story, divided into volumes, that ALL the volumes should be published at once instead of dragging it out for ages. But you know what? In this case I'm not going to recommend that the reader wait; I thought it was interesting enough that it's worth giving the first part a try right off.

Somehow I had never heard of this author, though he's been prolific enough. I see my local library has several additional books of his. From the descriptions, I can tell the other stories are nothing at all like The Obsidian Blade, but nevertheless I think I'll give them a try.

Oh, I like the cover of this one; nicely done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obsidian Blade.