Migdalia's Reviews > Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: fiction-crime
Recommended to Migdalia by: Showtime
Recommended for: those who have a healthy appreciation of the dark side and dark humor
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

There will come a time, my friends, when you will be tempted by the dark side. You will have this little voice at the back of your head tell you to do something you shouldn't. That voice will be so loud that you'll swear that he/she's standing right next to you. You will look into the abyss, and it will look back and say, "Welcome." You'll want to grab a coke, pick up a magazine and walk in, slipping off those shoes so that you can enjoy that nice, plush carpet. You'll want to, but you won't. The spirit of Christ compelled you.

Well, meet the guy who has no such compulsions: Dexter Morgan. He kills. A lot. He enjoys it. Hey! It's a hobby. He was trained by his policeman stepfather; so, that makes it ok. Doesn't it? After all, Dexter is no ordinary serial killer: he kills other killers. Otherwise, he leaves things alone. And he leaves no evidence. He learned well. Let's face it. We love him because he does what we would all like to do: Kill the mo'fo' who murdered/raped/maimed someone. You have to like a guy like that.

Needless to write, Jeff Lindsay is a great writer. At times, I almost felt like Jack Nicholson's Joker: "Where does he get these fabulous ideas?" What makes this book work is that, like Dexter, Lindsay makes no apologies. You cannot write this kind of story and feel bad. You have to embrace the antihero and run with all your ideas. However, if I were his wife, I'd check the garage and not let him handle the kitchen gadgets. It's spooky how good this writing is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkly Dreaming Dexter.