Michelle's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

Aug 26, 12

I first noticed this book when I saw an advert for it, and I requested a review copy just because I loved the cover! The publishers very kindly sent out a copy, and thankfully the contents didn’t let me down.

On face value, this is a fairytale for children – September is a twelve year old girl who’s taken away by a Green Wind and a Leopard, and taken to Fairyland. She meets some strange characters, gets involved in some strange incidents, and goes on a quest. However, things are not as they should be, and September may just be the person to fix things.

This is not, however, *just* a tale for children, as there’s plenty on offer for adults. It’s an imaginative world, where the usual rules don’t apply, and nothing is really as it seems. The writing style is lyrical and rather wonderful, and it’s easy to lose yourself in the world, and almost hope to visit!

It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland and Labyrinth, with a proper plot running through, and some colourful, memorable characters, such as the wonderfully loyal dragon who believes his father is a library! I’m hoping Catherynne returns to this world soon, and I’d love to see it made into a film.

Recommended for children, and those young at heart – lose yourself in this weird but delightful world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.