Desiree's Reviews > God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales

God, No! by Penn Jillette

Aug 26, 12

Read in August, 2012

Okay - first of all, this book had me in stitches.

Second of all, it's offensive - really offensive; both to the religious and the non-religious, to a certain extent. I think it takes a certain type of person to truly like this style of writing - someone that's willing to sift through the bullshit and take away the "food for thought" pearls within.

There are some, promise. There is much truth to be had here, but you've got to get past the blunt, satirical, over-the-top forest to get to the trees.

What I really -liked- about it was that it encourages people think of all the negatives that religion has in its package that no one ever thinks about; or in the worst case, things that it actively tells you to be okay with. To pass on and perpetrate. It's almost as if religion started out as a "love everyone and get along, do the right thing" hippy fest, and some how morphed into a "I'm better than you are and here's what I've got to back that up - follow or be condemned" judgement fest.

What I -disliked- was the way he sells Atheism to be a be-all, end-all. I suppose that's exactly what it is (a belief that you're damned sure of), but it seems hypocritical to tell someone they 'can't be so damned sure' God exists if you're 'so damned sure' God doesn't.

Still, the book had me in stitches, was smart and analytical, and it was an excellent read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God, No!.

Quotes Desiree Liked

Penn Jillette
“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”
Penn Jillette, God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales