Alex's Reviews > The Gallows Bird

The Gallows Bird by Camilla Läckberg

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: crime, swedish, the-cold-and-bloody-north
Read from August 24 to 27, 2012

I still have no idea what the title of this book meant. In a way Läckberg is becoming more predictable, but in another way I'd discounted one possible outcome for this book because I thought it was too stupid. Naturally, that's precisely how it turned out. As always, I figured it out ahead of the reveal, but this was the first one that had me groaning.

But the book surrounding the mystery isn't bad: Erica and Anna both have something to do (although Anna's conclusion is telegraphed almost from the first page she appears on this time around), Patrik considers his priorities, and Mellberg gets yet another wacky adventure under his belt. As always, the regular cast members generally delight even when Läckberg is telling us things in her narration that should be self evident from the action described.

Unfortunately, the parallel flashback storyline is the weakest yet, but it's mercifully short, and the reality TV show concept is ridiculously underdone. Läckberg introduces a series of one off characters and fails to resolve any of their storylines beyond the most perfunctory sentences. At the very least, Jonna deserved better than she got here.

By finally introducing the element of a serial killer to the normally staid town of Fjällbacka, Läckberg is grasping somewhat. Generally speaking, the book more than works because of the virtues of the town's non-criminal element, but it's not Läckberg's strongest work to date.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gallows Bird.

08/26/2012
45.0% "What does this name mean? Why did I accidentally read part of the blurb?"