Laura Graves's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, favorites
Read from August 26 to September 23, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower has been at the top of my favorites list for years. I read it as a junior in high school and I fell totally in love with it. I’ve been awaiting the movie since I first heard about it years ago. This book is so special and personal to me that I’ve never even attempted putting my thoughts down, but I think it’s time to try.

Charlie is a complicated character to me in that I will always love him, but I am often frustrated with him. It’s sometimes really easy for me to relate to him and sometimes really difficult for me to relate to him. He’s introspective, which I get. He’s also completely clueless sometimes, which is something I don’t get. My relation to Charlie as a teenager was more about how Charlie thinks than his experiences. There were a lot of things he did that I didn’t try until years later, and there were some things that Charlie didn’t do or understand that I had already experienced. What drew me to him then and makes me continue to love him now are those moments when I felt completely connected to him. When I was a teenager I just connected and soaked it all in. This time around I enjoyed watching Charlie grow. I wish I could say more about the other characters in the book, but what is there to say? They’re all amazing and real, but Charlie definitely speaks to me the most.

This is definitely a character-focused story. It mostly deals with Charlie’s coming-of-age, but there are also some plot points that make you stop and think or turn things in another direction. The ending is the part that always slays me. It hits really close to home. I cried like a baby the first time I read it. It’s funny because I remember being so angry at Charlie’s attitude about the whole thing at the end. This time around, having dealt with my feelings about my own experience, I understood that a lot better. It’s funny how things can be read differently when we’re in different places in our lives.

I had to glance over my review questions to get my thoughts flowing for this review and one stood out to me. “Has this novel changed me?” This book has probably changed me and shaped who I am more than any book I’ve ever read. I know that sounds a little trite, but it’s true. I think there are things I never would have dealt with in my own life had I not read about Charlie dealing with them. I cannot wait to see this movie next weekend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Laura Liked

We accept the love we think we deserve.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Sam has brown hair and very, very pretty green eyes. The kind of green that doesn't make a big deal about itself. ”

Stephen Chbosky
“I don't even remember the season. I just remember walking between them and feeling for the first time that I belonged somewhere.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

08/26/2012 "And so it begins... #wallflower"
08/26/2012
18.0% "I'm definitely remembering why this was my favorite book in high school. #wallflower"
show 1 hidden update…