Ellen's Reviews > Counting Backwards

Counting Backwards by Laura Lascarso

F_50x66
Aug 26, 12

Read in August, 2012

I liked this book. It's a crossover that will appeal to Young Adult readers and fans of good, clean books about teenagers who are adults. In this book there is some mild cussing (there may be an f-bomb)and some teen kissing but the real story is about a young girl committed to a psych ward for treatment of her behavioral problems, when it is plain that some of those behavioral problems are really her parents'. Taylor's mom is an alcoholic who depends on Taylor to take care of her. Taylor's father has left the family and tries to hold Taylor to standards of behavior that he can't or won't support with his love and adult guidance. I don't know why the author made Taylor half Native American because that fact rarely appears and seems to have no plot value at all, except to give Taylor long black hair which is cut off by a comparatively innocuous girl gang in the facility. Unlike many real life girls her age and with her background, Taylor does not smoke or drink and it seems as if she is probably a virgin. She stole a car and tried to run away and that's her plan to get out of Sunny Meadows, too. She thinks she's found an accomplice in the silent boy, A. J. but is he willing to let her go? Like I said, I did like this book because it is such a clean alternative to other types of YA fiction and because there was someting sweet about the relationship between A. J. and Taylor and Taylor's eventual "rehabilitation."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counting Backwards.