S.'s Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, witty, strong-women

I just re-read Daddy Long-Legs in about 24 hours and loved it even more than I remembered from when I was 14.

Someone made a (positive) point about about the book being irreverent: it was much more so than I previously picked up on and it was wonderful, considering the time it was written in, and it being a book for young ladies.
It even, very fleetingly addresses women's station in society when Judy briefly wonders:"Are women citizens? I don't suppose they are."
And she does so in a consciously satirical attitude, just as in the same way, she has some snarky observations about religion.
All the youthful, boisterous wit hasn't aged a jot either. The camaraderie of the girls at college beats many books written in a similar vein where the school is at the heart of the story.
Her social insecurity and crushing sense of inferiority resonates deeply but is never overwhelemed by actual pathos.

The book is incredibly cleverly written but with a lightness of touch that belies the thoroughness of thought and understanding of emotions that shine through.
Some things are that much more painful when put with a brittle, well placed joke.
The ending is blatantly and unashamedly feelgood, again, without any taint of schmalz.
Just a wonderfully, thoughtfully astute, hot bubblebath of a book that delivers maximum gratification.

This morning I started reading Dear Enemy, which I'm loving to bits already.

Both are in the public domain for Kindle so the downloads were completely free and they are very good re-formatted edits when it comes to spelling hitches.

HOWEVER: The Kindle format lacks the line drawings, so that is a big downside if you aren't already familiar with them, as they add so much character and charm.
Since I have illustrations in other Kindle reads, I suspect laziness on the part of the formatting folk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hazel Thank you, Suna. You make me want to revisit it, too.