Christian B.'s Reviews > The Final Testament of the Holy Bible

The Final Testament of the Holy Bible by James Frey

11962854
Sep 01, 12

Read from August 26 to September 01, 2012

After I finished this book, I actually had to go out and take a walk.

The beginning of the novel had been great and powerful: Ben Zion, a man from nowhere appears, almost dies, and miraculously survives and become the 'Messiah'. But through the middle, the plot became somehow repetitive: there will be a new narrator, he/she will explain his/her everyday life, and he/she will narrate how Ben changed his/her life. And what bothers me the most is how Ben changed these people's lives.

The first few of these life-changing encounters only feature Ben displaying miraculous speed of recovery, speaking dead languages, and sharing wisdom that most people knew but forgotten. But as the novel progressed, his method of changing lives changed: he began sleeping with random people, kissing and touching them in public - ways that he says are that of love. And this is what bothered me: most of the time, love is only shown in the level of eroticism. It bothers me for the fact that there is so much more than physical touch in real love. Albeit there are also instances where familial love is displayed, there were only very few of them. I was looking for instances where Ben would express this 'love' to people without touching them or turning them on yet the impact would still be as great as to those whom he touched.

But I believe that someday I would acquire a deeper understanding of what Frey (and Ben) wants to share to his readers as I go through life more. Hopefully I will.

This is a hard book to read because in order to get the most out of it, there are two conditions to be met: first, the reader's faith (to whatever he believes in) should not be weak enough for the novel to destruct; and second, the reader's faith should not be strong enough to not allow anything from the novel to permeate to his heart. And maybe, just maybe, when the reader has achieved this preparedness would he manage to understand the novel in a profound level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Testament of the Holy Bible.

08/26/2012 page 25
6.0% "“But love is different for every person. For some it's hate, for some it's joy, for some it's fear, for some it's jealousy, for some it's torture, for some it's peace. For some it's everything.”" 2 comments