Pen-rye-n's Reviews > Opal

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

LOOK AT HIM. LOOK AT HOW PRETTY HE IS. LOOK AT HOW I'M INCAPABLE OF TURNING OFF MY CAPS LOCK.

11/28/12:

Paper Boyfriends: Cue Swooning: Opal Book Trailer Reveal.

OH. LOOK AT THAT. JUST WHEN I GAINED THE ABILITY TO TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK SUDDENLY THIS HAPPENS AND I FEEL ALL THESE FEELINGS.

12/6/12

Photobucket

Okay. That was the initial .gif freak out. I know. It was a little overboard. I understand. But seriously? SERIOUSLY? SEEEERRRRIOUSLY? That ending? THAT ENDING? Why? WHY WOULD YOU EVEN? WHAT THE. THAT IS NOT OKAY. This. I'm. What. WHY. Why would you even? What the.. I just.

SERIOUSLY?!

I. Can't. Even. I CAN'T EVEN. I CAN NOT EVEN AT ANY POINT. WTactualF. You are making me feel things right now, Armentrout. Things in my heart that hurt. You are hurting me.

I...I need to call someone. I need to talk to someone about this.

12/10/12
Okay. I think I'm ready to talk about things like an intelligent, coherent adult. WARNING: Everything from this point on will most likely involve spoilers and/or gifs. I understand how some people on here are all, "OMG REVIEWS FULL OF GIFS ARE SO LAZY!" This maybe so, however, I also haven't bothered putting on pants today or fixing my hair or anything that requires much effort, so.. yeah. There's a theme here, is what I'm saying. BASICALLY, CONTINUE WITH THIS REVIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Me for majority of Opal:
Photobucket

Things are still happening in the Lux world. Crazy shit. Banana sandwich shit. Like Blake. Remember that guy? Of course you do. HE KILLED ADAM AND WE HATE BLAKE. BLAKE CAN DIE IN ALL THE FIRES. Except now he's back and blackmailing our alien and freak-hybrid so..awkward. And Dee? Our girl? Yeah. She's giving us the finger. Well, not exactly. But she's snubbing us and can we really blame her? She lost her hunka hunka burning freaky-light-being love and we'd probably react the same way if we lost Daemon. Right? Right. But, seriously. Come on, Dee. You added a level of awesome to these books that's hard to achieve with you off moodying it up with Ash & Andrew.

Also: ASH. What a bitch. Gawd.
Photobucket

But Dawson. We have Dawson back.
Photobucket

And he is precious. And extremely damaged. And pining for his freaky-hybrid Lady Love Beth who is still in the DOD's clutches. And he's slightly unstable. Just slightly. But seriously. Precious. I'm here to comfort you, Dawson! And/or touch your glow stick! Whatever makes you feel better!

You know what was fabulous about Opal that we didn't see in Obsidian or Onyx? NO WHEEBLING FROM KATY! She wasn't over there all, "DAEMON ONLY LIKES ME BECAUSE OF THIS WEIRD HEAL-Y CONNECTION THING WE HAVE GOING ON!" "I like him, but I don't like-like him. Because he's a jerk! A hot jerk! But a JERK." "Yes, I might be sexually attracted to him and wanted to do bad things with his glowstick, but dammit, I also want to be normal too and WHY DOES FURNITURE KEEP MOVING WITHOUT ME TOUCHING IT? GOD. GO BACK TO THE CORNER, UGLY ARMCHAIR." Katy and Daemon are a thing now and there's no back and forths. We have succumbed to the power of the lit-from-within alien love and now we're just going to spend an entire book trying to get it on and BEING INTERRUPTED EVERY SINGLE TIME, GOD, YOU KIDS. HANG A SOCK ON THE DOOR OR SOMETHING. LET THESE PEOPLE KNOW NOT TO KNOCK.

Hint: (view spoiler)

Also. Clarrisa. FOREVER SAD FACE. Seriously though. The flu? You bought that, Katy? Come on. Does anyone EVER get the simple flu in these types of stories? Of course they don't. You should know better, Ms. Book Blogger. Seriously.

Here's what I absolutely love about these books though, aside from Katy and Daemon's chemistry, which is still smoking or maybe that's just Daemon I don't know it's probably Daemon: This was not a filler. Three books in and things are still getting real, shit's still happening and our story is moving forward. Inching at times, only to leap at others, but we're still moving and Armentrout is not afraid to kill off characters, maim others, or just generally fuck some shit up. LIKE WILL. GOD. FUCK WILL. Armentrout is not afraid to tackle ugly. She's not afraid to bring it. LIKE IN THE FORM OF AIRBORNE ONYX. Holy shit. Awesome.

Or Blake creeping in to Katy's bed at night.
Photobucket
BECAUSE THAT'S NOT CREEPY AT ALL, BLAKE. WTF. WEIRDO.

And the end. STILL. Good lord. WHY. Haven't we been good to you, Armentrout? Haven't we loved you and fangirled you and worshiped Daemon enough? Why would you do that? Why would you set out to hurt us so deeply? That wasn't a cliffhanger. You shoved us off the freaking cliff. Left us with an Arum surrounded by lasers and the DOD. (Okay. The lasers were cool. I'll admit that.)

Harsh.
37 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opal.

12/04/2012 "DO YOU KNOW WHAT JUST DOWNLOADED ON TO MY KINDLE? EARLY? A WEEK EARLY?
Photobucket THAT'S RIGHT."
1.0% " Photobucket
I AM LITERALLY ON PAGE ONE AND CAN'T STOP SQUEALING. BACK YE AWAY FROM ME, SPAWN OF MINE. I AM FLAILING IN EXCITEMENT."
12/04/2012
2.0% "YES. YES THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING. SHIT IS ALREADY GETTING REAL. Also Daemon doesn't have a shirt on. And the church across the street is playing Christmas music. IT'S LIKE SHIRTLESS ALIEN CHRISTMAS OVER HERE."
12/04/2012
10.0% ""'I don't wear leather pants,' he said. [.....] And that was a damn shame." INDEED IT IS."
12/04/2012
11.0% "YES YES YOU WANT TO BONE HIM, KATY. OF COURSE. BUT THE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION IS: WILL IT BE LIKE HUMPING A GLOWSTICK?!?"
12/04/2012
12.0% "Dammit, Dawson! DAMMIT. What the hell are you doing? You couldn't flounce at a more convenient moment? I HAVE BURNING QUESTIONS THAT MUST BE ANSWERED."
12/04/2012 ""Making a right instead of a left, I laughed out loud." Hey, Bella Swan? Check it. Katy just gave you or your ilk the finger."
12/04/2012
14.0% "Aw! Look at our little Katy using logic and reasoning skills. Standing up for herself and not excusing away Daemon's alpha male douchebaggery. This is beautiful."
12/05/2012 "Uh, Guys? SRSLY. GUISE. I was gazing at the cover lovingly and...IS ANYONE ELSE SEEING THE SHADOWY FACE IN THE BACKGROUND? BEHIND KATY & DAEMON?
THE FUCK IS THAT?"
12/05/2012
34.0% "DAMMIT, BLAKE. What is it with everyone always interrupting IS IT LIKE A GLOWSTICK OR NOT."
12/05/2012
35.0% "Wait, Luc! Are we talking about dragons? DOES THE GOVERNMENT HAVE DRAGONS? Because they should."
12/05/2012
36.0% ""but I was so angry - so repulsed by the suggestion I'd be seeing two twin brothers." GIRLFRIEND, ARE YOU NUTS? THAT'S MY DREAM."
38.0% " Photobucket
I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE BECAUSE THE LANGUAGE WAS A LITTLE VAGUE BUT I'M THINKING KATY JUST HAD HER FIRST ORGASM..Or tasted Nutella for the first time."
50.0% " Photobucket
DUDE. They're totally about to do it, aren't they? I BETTER GO TURN ON KATY PERRY."
12/06/2012
54.0% ""What are you doing?" "Getting you naked." YES. GLOWSTICKS."
12/06/2012 "GOD KATY YOU ARE SUCH A GLOWSTICK BLOCKER."
12/06/2012
55.0% "OH MY LORD SCREW YOU DAWSON WE WERE THIS CLOSE WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?!"
61.0% "HOLY. SHIT."
12/06/2012
65.0% "Oh, God. It's not Daemon that's been crawling into bed with her, it? Blake or Dawson? I HOPE IT'S DAWSON."
12/06/2012 "OH GOD WHAT IF IT WAS ANDREW?"
12/06/2012 "OKAY. MY PREDICTIONS: It's Dawson crawling into bed with her because she reminds him of Beth and it helps him sleep but Daemon walks in and sees and gets crazy angry and then the book ends on a horrible cliffhanger and we all die of angst."
75.0% "OH MY GOD."
75.0% " Photobucket
AGAIN. OMG."
12/06/2012
87.0% ""You guys really aren't any different." "Besides the whole glowworm thing." DAEMON JUST REFERRED TO HIMSELF/HIS PENIS AS A GLOWWORM. DYING. Also: Photobucket ALIEN SEX!"

Sarah Dude. The end of chapter 22...*fans self*

That's where I left off. At 3 am. Took awhile to fall asleep after that bahaha.

Must. Read. Super. Slowly.

Pen-rye-n I haven't got there yet! BUT WAS A GLOWSTICK INVOLVED? Or a glow worm? WAS IT LIKE PUTTING YOUR HAND OVER A FLASHLIGHT? I've been reading sooooo slow. I can't allow this to ever, ever, EVER end!

Sarah MY LIPS ARE SEALED! Damnit woman. Just wait. I'm seriously struggling to contain myself over here.

Pen-rye-n GLOW. WORMS.

message 5: by Page (new) - added it

Page Love that you used Skins! Miss that cast....