Lucy Furr's Reviews > Rx - Episode 2: The Reservoir

Rx - Episode 2 by Robert Brockway

Aug 26, 2012

bookshelves: cracked-writers, drugs-will-do-that, sci-fi, dystopia
Read from August 25 to 26, 2012

FAIR WARNING: This review stands as an overall review of all three installments of Rx and may (probably does) contain spoilers for other parts of the story.

*****

I’ll admit that while reading the prelude I was a bit worried. It seemed like the Brockway I knew (figuratively) and loved (ditto) was lost amongst fancy words and pretty descriptions. Thankfully, my fear was put aside a couple of pages into the first chapter (there was still plenty of fancy words and pretty descriptions, but it was in a more familiar voice) and I felt much more at ease.

The Pros:

* Lord Byron!
• Did I mention drugs?

The Cons:

* Zippy
* Some confusing, rambling paragraphs of explanation and/or descriptions.
* The ending (kind of)

For the most part, the characters are enjoyable. Red is grand in his helpless unawareness, James is grand in his fury, QC foul-mouth drilled a grand hole straight to my heart, and well, Byron was just grand, all in all (I’m a sucker for hapless [note I didn’t say hopeless] drug attics). There are also a bunch of other great minor characters. About the only one I couldn’t get behind was Zippy, and aside from her mostly annoying “public persona” I can’t really figure out why. Her character just kind of seemed pointless to me even though she does figure in pretty big in the first installment of the series (view spoiler)

The setting for this story is great: a futuristic, dystopian, drug fuelled society (sounds familiar, sure, but its unique in its own right) and Brockway writes with a clear idea of what he’s trying to portray, so much so that I have to wonder if maybe he has a portal into another world where he gets his inspirations. Sometimes things just seemed all to damned plausable! My only beef with the writing is that there were definitely times where the tech speak seemed to get really jumbled up for me and I found myself having to reread whole paragraphs just to get my bearings again. But that could be chalked up to my relative inexperience with the Sci-Fi genre. I picked up this book because I am a fan of Brockway not because I am a fan of Sci-Fi.

As for the ending. Well, I don’t hate it. I actually really like the note it ended on, but it came along so damned quick that for a second my mind blatantly refused to acknowledge the boldly lettered “The End” at the end of the page.

All in all though, it was a fun, entertaining read, a solid four stars in my mind. Thanks for the trip, Brockway!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rx - Episode 2.