Wilson's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Aug 02, 07

Alright, so if white people are not allowed to put on make up to try and make themselves look somehow like they are black people in movies (unless you're Ted Danson) without being wholloped on, why is it OK for Arthur Golden, who I don't know but I wager is not a Japanese geisha, to write a book that he passes off as the actual memoir of a Japanese geisha? And then have people say, "You know what, Arthur really captured the essence of the Japanese geisha." Why? Because he eventually had sex with rich Japanese dudes that had pursued him vigorously, but that he had coyly denied for years? No. It's because he needs a new hobby. Next Arthur Golden book? "Memoirs of Anything but Being a White Dude because I've Done Some Research on it and Presume I'm Pretty Much an Authority." Or perhaps, "Memoirs of Arthur Golden Wishing I was Anything other than Arthur Golden and that I Could Profit off that Wish in Book Form."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Qumi69 I first read this book in high school, and although I remember liking it, I don't think I was paying very much attention because I seriously thought the book was just about a bunch of Japanese hookers. But I reread it a few weeks ago, and I loved the story. Memoirs is about the life of this peasanth girl, Sayuri, in pre and post-WW2 Japan who is sold into life as an apprentive Geisha, and then ultimately, an actual Geisha.

message 2: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Drella It's historical FICTION.

Suzette He's an author writing fiction, he can write a book about whatever the hell he wants to. most people that write successful fiction are writing about stuff that they don't actually live through themselves. that's why it's called FICTION and not autobiography.

message 4: by Mj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mj Macgregor Did you happen to see his acknowledgement section? He certainly had a lot of help with the historical and personal side of geisha life. And he never tried to say it was a biography, it IS fiction.

Ronel Very funny review..Lol!

Jamie I would guess that not everyone who writes about the Titanic was on it, or people who write about a Zombie apocalypse actually lived through one. It's to his credit that he was able to capture a time that he wasn't a part of. If only there were more talented writers who could delve into and explore culture like this book did, regardless of the color of a writer's skin or where they were born

Lulu Bare in mind this is a novel (historical fiction) and a well written one ... Don't bash it

Amalia wow its fiction. anyone, no matter what race,color,gender can write about fiction. It was a well written story, please don't bring race into this. you could simply not like the story,

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Sadly this is as narrow minded and misinformed as my friends comment about 'Jesus Christ superstar' pushing religion.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Davis If any of you did some background, you'd realize that Wilson is right. This book is not only extremely historically inaccurate to the point of being offensive, but is also the stolen story of a real Geisha. Arthur, before writing his book or making the movie, decided to do some research by taking interviews with geishas and people who might actually have something to do with the era in the book + movie. One geisha in particular he talked to was the unwilling basis for his fiction, and they had agreed to not disclose her name, nor take her entire life and make a novel and a profit off of it. He did exactly what he said he wouldn't do, and added in some trivial bullshit to please misguided westerners, like making up the entire "mizuage" setup. Books like these perpetuate the problem of orientalism. If you want to read something worth your time, read the TRUE story of the geisha Arthur exploited, humiliated, and defamed. It's called Geisha, A Life, by Mineko Iwasaki.

message 11: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat H Is this supposed to be a review of the book? I smell a trolllllllll.......