Akemi's Reviews > Mother Courage and Her Children

Dec 13, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: school
Read in October, 2008

Soon after I finished reading this for class, I saw a documentary on a production of Mother Courage in Central Park using a translation done by Tony Kushner. Apparently Kushner read Mother Courage in college and loved it. Can't say I had quite the same reaction. Maybe it's more effective on stage, but I wasn't really moved by this play. Perhaps because it is so repetitive in its theme of Mother Courage's relentless business sense over family. I don't know. It has its funny moments, one of the character's names is Swiss Cheese, and it certainly has some emotional high points, like Kattrin's beating of the drum, but it just didn't strike a chord with me. Strange, because I normally love plots centering on a family. I guess the play is only ostensibly about a family- it's really just about Mother Courage herself.

MOTHER COURAGE: Thank the Lord they're corruptible. After all, they ain't wolves, just humans out for money. Corruption in humans is same as compassion in God. Corruption's our only hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother Courage and Her Children.