Katy's Reviews > Ferragost

Ferragost by Melina Marchetta

Aug 26, 12

Read from August 25 to 26, 2012

3.5 stars - How does a book so short incorporate so much happening, so many description, so many character traits and draws the reader in so much?

I admit I was a bit confused at first because it took me a bit to realize how the murder mystery related to the politics on Ferrogost Isle. And it was one of those murder mysteries where the body is discovered, and the ones doing the investigating slowly discover clues to support their theories - though it did not occur slowly at all. Throw in some twists, and you have a surprisingly delightful read.

What an amazingly bold and witty person Lady Celie is. And what a mysteriously intriguing man Castellan Banyon is. And the characters in this book just leaves you wondering, "What are they really up to?"

My only complaint with this short story is this... With the side stories in Froi of the Exiles, we are able to see how each story is relevant to the overall picture. Here, I have no clue how this connects to what's happening in Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles. (view spoiler) I am sure we will find out more about this short story in Quintana, but it wasn't enough to stand by itself, whereas the other stories in Froi of the Exiles were. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

But this was beautifully written and very intriguing for such a short story.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferragost.

Navdha Did it change from 1 to 1:30?? xP

message 2: by Katy (last edited Aug 25, 2012 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Yes! I was reading and responding to my GR updates, and 80 percent were YOUR comments. :P I may have to change it again in a bit. :D

Deniz sooo, katy. instead of reading p3 you read this?!

message 4: by Katy (last edited Aug 26, 2012 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy LOL, this was only 35 pages. And instead of reading P3, I'm having to find and answer the 10 posts (not exaggerating) you left me on everyone's reviews. :P

Mitch The lack of connections is intentional, if you read the introduction you'd have known Marchetta wanted to make this a standalone you can enjoy without reading either of the books :p

Katy Yes, but I did not have several months to calm down the excited high and anticipation that I experienced from finishing Froi of the Exiles before I read this one. ;) So where's my connection damnit. I want to know what happens next.

Mitch Next month to the day ...

Word Traffic Only 3.5? :(

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL, this was only 35 pages. And instead of reading P3, I'm having to find and answer the 10 posts (not exaggerating) you left me on everyone's reviews. :P"

i needed a distraction, but at least i finished the freakn book!
i go for lunch and i have 13! notifications from you (not exaggerating as well) blimey woman. stop distracting yourself and get reading.

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy @ WT - Yes, but I rounded up. :) It was just great yet a bit "unsatisfying" after the massive length of Froi. :P

@ D - Hahahahaha! OMG, I was answering all of yours! If you quit jumping around, maybe you'll only have one notification.

Deniz Katy wrote: "@ WT - Yes, but I rounded up. :) It was just great yet a bit "unsatisfying" after the massive length of Froi. :P

excuse me?! go do your chores i am waiting. *taps foot*

Navdha And did she find out what she wanted to know..

I am confused. :/
Do you mean (view spoiler)

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Is that what Celie came there for? That's what I couldn't figure out. (view spoiler)

Navdha Well I guess that was the main reason she came for. (view spoiler) Celie made quite an impression on me in this book.

Deniz Navdha wrote: "Well I guess that was the main reason she came for. [spoilers removed] Celie made quite an impression on me in this book."

help all these spoilers make my fingers twitch!

Navdha Deniz wrote: " help all these spoilers make my fingers twitch!"

Haha! Read the books first!! READITREADITREADIT!

message 17: by Butterfly (new)

Butterfly Hmmm, I've heard alot about this books. D have you read them? maybe we can read them together? just not now...

Deniz Butterfly wrote: "Hmmm, I've heard alot about this books. D have you read them? maybe we can read them together? just not now..."

no i havent read them. planning on reading them soon. the third book comes out 26th of sept and i wanna be done with them before that, but first defiance tonight.
then we can make a date? for finniking? hows that

Deniz Navdha wrote: "Deniz wrote: " help all these spoilers make my fingers twitch!"

Haha! Read the books first!! READITREADITREADIT!"

i know i know i know. i am going to i am going to! SOOON SOOON

message 20: by Butterfly (new)

Butterfly Deniz wrote: "Butterfly wrote: "Hmmm, I've heard alot about this books. D have you read them? maybe we can read them together? just not now..."

no i havent read them. planning on reading them soon. the third bo..."

Yeah sure, defiance first...Hey have you asked Katy about the name you came up with for my mascot?

Deniz Butterfly wrote: "Deniz wrote: "Butterfly wrote: "Hmmm, I've heard alot about this books. D have you read them? maybe we can read them together? just not now..."

no i havent read them. planning on reading them soon..."

i have she hasnt answered yet...

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mentioned what?

Deniz Katy wrote: "Mentioned what?"

the name change thing...

message 24: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Deniz wrote: "the name change thing..."

Deniz Katy wrote: "Deniz wrote: "the name change thing..."

Oh! I have to filter through all the nagging in that thread. Lemme get back to you."

its post 26...

message 26: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Okay, okay. Lemme go find the damn thread again.

Deniz so i finally read it. and i liked it but it was too short. :( i need more lumatere!! sigh!
i thought it was brilliant and the fact that Celie is there as a spy is super clever.