Christina's Reviews > White Lilacs

White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyer

Dec 13, 08

bookshelves: 2008-reads, juvenile
Read in June, 2008

White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyer was required reading in seventh grade at my middle school. However, recently, my mom and I were going through my brother’s bookcases trying to figure out what to put up on PaperBackSwap and when I picked up While Lilacs, my brother immediately said to let it go. I couldn’t remember if I liked it or not so I settled down to reread it.

It was difficult to read about the insensitivity of the time, but I can totally see why my school decided it was important for us to read it, especially since this story is based on Denton, Texas and Denton is about a forty-five minute drive from where I live. White Lilacs is a story with a view of history that we rarely see.

I think was really helped out this difficult topic was that everything was explained thoroughly in the book. The characters were very realistic and I think that the author did a good job of describing people, places, and things. However, getting from Point A to Point B takes a while and I can see why my brother rapidly lost interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Lilacs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Snow Favorite Quote Thus Far: "..... But ours was a different kind of eats, not so dainty and fine but hearty food that would stick to your ribs."