Christina's Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

Dec 13, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008-reads, juvenile, crime, fiction
Read in September, 2008

When a young girl, Judy, is almost hit by a large moving van and falls off a bridge in her attempt to avoid being hit, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew quickly rescue the girl and brings her back to Judy’s home, which she shares with her Great Aunts Mary Edna Turner. The two elderly ladies share with Nancy that they don’t have a lot of money, especially since their promised inheritance from Josiah Crowley fell through. Mr. Crowley’s fortune was willed to the snobby, rude, and already rich Topham family. While searching for a possible second will, Nancy discovers five other people claiming Josiah Crowley was close to them and promised them money after his death. As Nancy interviews sisters Grace and Allison Hoover, brothers Fred and William Mathews, and the elderly, invalid Abby Rowen, she becomes more and more insistent upon solving the case.

My biggest complaint with The Secret of the Old Clock is the title leaves no secret as to where the second will was left. If I follow the publication date, I received this book, and the following five novels, when I was 9. I can only recall reading the first two. Now whether that was because I found the books too hard or too boring I do not know. But at seventeen, I found The Secret of the Old Clock to be surprisingly simple. The “mystery” might better fit the description of an adventure. Still, it was both short and straightforward, perfect for a children’s book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.

09/07/2016 marked as: read

Jade This was an awesome book

message 2: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. You're the first I've noticed with the same observation as me. I think my review discussing "title spoiler!" will crack you up.