Jodi Hufendick's Reviews > Geography Club

Geography Club by Brent Hartinger

Aug 25, 12

This book was, weirdly, recommended to me by my school librarian. I saw weirdly because it was not what I would have expected from my school librarian.

Not being gay myself, I do not know what goes on in the heart and mind of a homosexual teenager. Having taught many over the last 12 years, however, and watching their struggles to admit who they are to themselves and then admit who they are to others, I believe this book captures something. I won't speak for them, but I will say that it helped me see the identity struggle and understand the innate fear of that self realization more clearly.

The characters are real and believable, their pain and triumphs, their victories and horrible defeats are easily believable and anyone who has spent any time in a school and was actually paying attention will also see despicable honesty in the way the adults are portrayed.

I would encourage, and plan to encourage, my gay friends to read this so they can tell me what they think about it and it's level of reality, but I would also recommend it to adults who work with or have teenagers, it might help you to remember what it was like to be one and to see their struggle in a new way, gay and straight alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geography Club.