April Helms's Reviews > A is for Alibi

F_50x66
Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from August 25 to September 01, 2012

Mom got me hooked on this series on our trips to Savannah and D.C. She likes listening to books on CD on her road trips. This was the first of a long series. The intrepid hero Kinsey Milhone is a former police officer who is now working as a private detective. Most of her cases have been pretty routine, until Nikki Fife, who was just released from prison for killing her husband, approaches her about trying to find the real killer and clearing her name. Kinsey's a fun character, very practical and has good instincts, but she has a lot of quirks that border on neurotic. The world in which she lives is very well-defined and easily pictured. The story is well-paced and the ending was very surprising. Only quibble was one of her first dealings in the story with Lt. Con Dolan. She asks him for records on the murder case, which he reluctantly gives to her, saying he's really not supposed to do that. But the records he gives her would have been open under the Sunshine Laws, with anyone wanting or needing to have access to them able to review them. I do call this a minor quibble though, because this type of response is not atypical in police departments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A is for Alibi.