Elizabeth's Reviews > Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant

Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

Aug 25, 12

Read in August, 2012

Knowing little of Asbergers....This is a very interesting book written by Daniel Tammet who is a highly functional individual, who sits on the Asberger’s spectrum. The 'Blue Day' the title of the book, is the day on which he was born, a Wednesday, which in his minds eye are described as blue.

Interestingly Daniel sees objects as colours, numbers and shapes. He also has an astounding ability to recognise every prime number up to 9,973 by their 'pebble like quality'. Sounds strange - but he guides you through his story to help you understand how his brain ticks.

For me his most amazing ability is how quickly he can learn a new language - in just under one week!! He proves this theory when he learns Islandic and is well tested on an Islandic TV show. The other amazing feat worth mentioning is his ability to recit digits of pi, which he managed to 22,514 without making a mistake (taking 5 hours and 9 mins). Breaking the world record! Loved when he described pi as an 'extremely beautiful and utterly unique thing. Like the Mona Lisa or a Mozart symphony, pi is its own reason for loving it.'

However, as with every book I read, I really look for a strong 'emotional' element which helps you to connect with the people in the story. It's hard to find this kind of connection when the story is told by Daniel himself. Initally I found this frustrating, but on reflection I think it helps you understand the emotional challenges of Asbergers and appreciate this struggle. Despite this, I liked how he reflected on his personal relationships; mainly with family and his partner Neil and helped the reader try and understand how he created emotion and feelings for other people.

Daniel Tammet should be very proud of his life achievements (so far) and should be praised for writting this book. Whilst I've enjoyed it, I'd like to hear this story through a third party who could express Daniels expereiences in a less methodical and structured way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born on a Blue Day.