Mike's Reviews > The Coffin Dancer

The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver

Dec 13, 08

Read in February, 2002

This is the book that hooked me into reading suspense novels. Back in 2002, I was at Super-Walmart waiting for my car to get an oil change so I decided to kill some time in the book aisle. I picked up a John Grisham book and was reading the plot summary when somebody said to me "if you want to read a good book then read that one". She was pointing to THE COFFIN DANCER so I took her advice and bought it. I have read about 120 novels since and nothing has topped it yet. I felt the first chapter was the best that I have ever read and the ending was a pure shock for me. Since that was my first Jeffery Deaver novel, I now know what to expect from him. So if anybody thinks they can suggest a book in the genre that will top this for me then let me know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coffin Dancer.

Neil Collins Give Meg Gardener's Dirty Secret's Club a try! It's on my shelf right next to Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series!

message 2: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Madeiros Every Dead Thing by John Connelly. One of the best debut novels I've ever read. Excellent series as well.

Brianna I would try reading Val McDermid's Tony Hill & Carol Jordan series. It's a great series and all are hard to put down. That being said I warn you The Mermaid Singing is pretty graphic in some parts, but they were short enough to skim. The rest of the series is not as graphic (IMO). I love her stand alone's also.

"Give Meg Gardener's Dirty Secret's Club a try! It's on my shelf right next to Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series!"
Meg Gardiner's series featuring Jo Beckett (The Dirty Secrets Club) is another great series to read like Neil suggested. I just finished reading that series and I couldn't put the books down, but I suggest not reading this series if you want to read a book where you believe everything. For example: car goes over a cliff, few were wearing seat-belts, only minor injuries sustained by car's occupants for the most part. A couple of bad injuries but I'm not going into those because it gives away part of the book.

Meg Gardiner also wrote a series featuring Evan Delaney!! Just read those also. Very hard to put down.

Finally I would suggest reading Lisa Gardner. Her Quincy/Rainie series, her D.D. Warren series, & her stand alone's are all intense and hard to put down. At least they were for me!!

Whew, gave a lot of suggestions, sorry, but I have been on a reading kick and wanted to share with you some good books. :)

Kylie Purdie I'd second Val McDermid's Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series. Also try Minette Walters - specifically The Scold's Bridle and The Sculptress.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Smith I'm with you, Mike. It's hard to top this book. The airplane flight to Denver is one of the most suspenseful chapters I've ever read. They're very different books, but I also enjoy Dennis Lehane, the Patrick-and-Angie detective series (I began with Darkness, Take My Hand, and it's still my favorite) or the stand-alone Mystic River, which is longer and covers a greater time span. Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. I plan to check out some of those.

Nicola I would try all of Cody McFadyen's books. I've read a lot of Jeffery Deaver's and nothing beats McFadyen for me.