Amanda's Reviews > Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

F 50x66
Dec 13, 2008

Read in January, 2007

Written about and by a former Morman whose husband was a polygamist, this autobiography gave the honest and painful account of what it's like to be 1 of 9 wives. The author married at the ripe age of 16 and she had 7 children. At times, her family was so poor, they resortted to eating rotton or disposed of potatoes. Her first hand account gave the story a tone and style that made me very empathetic to her stress and frustrations. At times, her husband would leave most of his wives and children in the family compound in Mexico while he took his first wife and went to work in the US. The narrator also was honest about her inimate frustrations as she had to share her husband with his other wives.

While the book will never win any Pulitzer prizes or be recognized by the academy, it had suce a genuine tone that made her story universal to so many other women. Even though most woman have a monogamous marriage, there were so many themes to which we could relate. Issues such as need your husband emotionally, but he's not available; being so overwhelmed with responsibilities that you become tearful and collapse from exhaustion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Dreams.