martha's Reviews > Expiration Date

Expiration Date by Tim Powers

Feb 10, 09

bookshelves: genre, 2009
Read in January, 2009

So this turned out to be an interesting and gritty piece of urban fantasy -- it took me forever to get to that point, though, since the book started in a way that I personally hate, jumping from unrelated character to unrelated character without explaining their connection to the plot, or even the rules of this universe. As it is, I felt like things only started to come into focus and really pick up halfway through, and the fact that the climax of the entire book was in the epilogue was totally baffling.

BUT the mythos of ghosts and the things that fascinate them was cool, and I loved Edison's ghost interacting with Kootie, the 11-year-old who was stuck with him, and the Houdini tie-in was great. I think I'd have liked it better if I liked -- or even knew -- LA, since the city is such a huge part of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Expiration Date.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris Did you read Last Call? I like some of his stuff a lot...really liked those two.

martha Nope, this is the first thing of his I've picked up, after hearing good stuff. It was recced to me by Punk actually, who's got pretty similar taste to yours, I think.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris Hee, I love how goodreads-vigilant you are.

Punk Oh, you're right about the jumping from character to character in the beginning; that's usually a turn-off for me too, but I trusted Powers to get me through it.

But the climax in the epilogue -- that's just weird. I have no idea what he was going for there.