Ken Montville's Reviews > Sugarhouse: Turning the Neighborhood Crack House into Our Home Sweet Home

Sugarhouse by Matthew Batt

8220537
Oct 14, 12

Recommended to Ken by: Rotarian Magazine
Recommended for: Men and Women under 40, college students, first time home owners
Read from September 23 to October 10, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

For some reason, I've been reading a lot of memoir type books that are not about great people's live but, rather, about parts of normal people's lives.

This book is about the part of the author's life from about his undergraduate career in college to about his post doctoral career as a college professor in Minnesota. Most of the action takes place in Salt Lake City in the Sugarhouse district (thus, the title) where he and his wife (a woman he meets, dates and then marries in rapid succession)proceed to buy a decrepit house and fix it up.

Interspersed with the humorous telling of the whole "I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm doing it pretty well." are chapters about his relationship with his family. Not much is said for his wife's side of the family, if there is one.

The writing style is breezy and the book is a quick and easy read. I found myself wondering how such a dunderhead could make it through life waiting on tables, completing a graduate degree, be married and work on a house that was clearly in serious disrepair.

I guess nothing is impossible. Perhaps, this is more of a self help book in disguise. "See, if I can do this, anyone can! Dream the dream and follow it."

The book is pure entertainment. If it weren't about real people and real events, it would make a good novel of the beach reading variety.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugarhouse.

09/26/2012 page 50