Jeff's Reviews > Middlesex

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Aug 26, 07

Recommended for: People who love to breath.

Okay, seriously: I loved this book. It was big sweeping, heartfelt, funny, sad, it had everything you could want in a book, or hell even a lifetime. I wanted to read it forever and ever (but then none of the other books would get to play).
I’m not kidding when I say, “You should read this book.” And yeah, I’m talking to you, the red head.
I know, it’s not like I’m going out on a limb here. It won the Pulitzer. It won best book of 2002 from The Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, New York Times Book Review, San Francisco Chronicle, Entertainment Weekly, Borders, Barnes and Noble, and And it’s now on the Oprah book club reading list (and really, is there anything else to prove?) It’s sort of like I’m saying, “Hey breathing is neat, you should all try it! You’ll feel better!” But that is what I’m saying. I’m agreeing with all those people, I even find myself on an unprecedented common ground with Oprah.
Seriously, who knew 5-alpha-reductase mutation would make for such a touching story? I never thought that… and I’ve thought a lot about stuff in my life.
SPECIAL BONUS: The photo of Jeffrey Eugenides on the back of the book- he looks sort of like a cartoon villain, the kind who can manipulate things with his mind. 5-alpha-reductase that with your mind!
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.

Anney Ryan Yay! I agree!!!

message 2: by Leigha (new) - added it

Leigha "And yeah, I’m talking to you, the red head."

Know what's scary. I am a redhead. Maybe I should read this then... Good review.