Wendy's Reviews > Anew

Anew by Chelsea Fine

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in August, 2012

Perhaps it was because reading this book came on the tails of several poorly written books before it, but I was completely hooked after the first few pages. It didn't take me long to realize that I didn't just like this book in comparison to the subpar ones I read before it but because it is actually a REALLY well-written story.

Sure, there are some classic and over-used elements to this story - a love triangle (with brothers, no less) and a tortured romance that spans over centuries - but there are reasons that these are CLASSIC. Some amount of swooning and angst is kind of a given in YA fiction. I couldn't help being drawn into the way the characters were illustrated so clearly. I loved jumping into different perspectives and being towed along through the confusion before Scarlet finally gets clued in on the big secret behind her amnesia.

Okay, so there were some weird parts about the explanation of their history that initially bugged me, but the author made it work. WIth supernatural fiction, there is generally quite a bit you have to take with a grain of salt.

As with most books that I really enjoy, my reviews tend to be rather short - because I have less to rant about - so I will leave this review on that note and go read the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anew.