Manny's Reviews > Last and First Men

Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon

Apr 18, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 1974

Stapledon tells you the story of the human race, starting now and ending with its demise, well over a billion years in the future. People change in all sorts of unexpected ways; during some periods, they have godlike intelligence, during others they aren't even sentient any more. The book has obvious flaws, but there's just nothing else like it. Some of the images are impossible to forget.

Despite the fact that it's not very well known (none of my 115 GR friends have it on their shelves), an impressive collection of famous people give him a thumbs-up. Doris Lessing, in particular, has said more than once that she was deeply affected by it. Other fans include SF writers Arthur C. Clarke and Brian Aldiss, and the evolutionary biologist John Maynard Smith.

14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last and First Men.

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I never heard of it. I see it was originally published in 1930. I'm going to have to see if it's at the library. I like reading early examples of science fiction.

message 2: by Hollis (last edited Jul 04, 2009 02:01PM) (new)

Hollis If you're interested, other fans include Richard Dawkins, Jorge Luis Borges, Greg Bear, Virginia Woolf and Robert Silverberg. Actually, I'm not sure why I've never read 'Star Maker': I've just never been able to get hold of it. Just ordered it from the library so I will read it very soon. As for 'Last and First Men' I just can't get it anywhere.

Capsguy I'm quite limited to what literary science-fiction I can read (due to my self-imposed reading restrictions), so this should make for a nice change