Amanda's Reviews > Hairstyles of the Damned

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Recommended to Amanda by: gibbie
Recommended for: angsty folk
Read in December, 2008

For being written by a creative writing professor, this book is overwhelmingly stereotypical. The rebel girl who dyes her hair pink; the twenty-something who can't get away from high school; the boy with his constant erections and lascivious thoughts who really just wants some confidence. And everyone hates their parents (who likewise have stereotypical issues). While I agree that we all go through a lot of the same things in adolescence, sometimes I just wanted to slap the narrator and yell get OVER yourself .

It's hard to write a book from a teen point of view. If you compare it to a book like the perks of being a wallflower- which is by no means the perfect YA fic- it falls so far short, it's absurd. Meno was trying to give the book an authentic voice by inserting the appropriate filler words- like, um, fuck, maybe- but he tries too hard. I wasn't against this book from the start, and each of the characters really does have potential to tell a good story, but Meno fails in delivering.

Big perk of the book for me? It's set in the neighborhoods I was born in, and also where I spent a good chunk of childhood at my aunt's house. Rainbow Cone? I'm so there.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hairstyles of the Damned.

12/13/2008 page 23
8.52% "I feel like maybe the protagonist's anger would have been a little less obnoxious if I were 13."
12/13/2008 page 69
25.56% "If I ignore all the angsty teen crap, I can enjoy the fact that this book is set where I spent a chunk of my childhood. Mm Rainbow Cone"
12/13/2008 page 166
61.48% "Oh my god, Joe Meno. Could your characters be a little more stereotypical? Ugh."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly mmmm rainbow cone!
plush horse?

Amanda And how 'bout Haunted Trails? :)

However, I'm mid-way through the book and can't say the same for not being against it from the start. I was immediately disappointed with the writing by the acknowledgements page. You rock it/you suck it? How's THAT for inappropriate. No WONDER you had a hard time finding a publisher, Joe Meno.