Janellyn51's Reviews > The Lincoln Letter

The Lincoln Letter by William Martin

2059478
Aug 30, 12

Read from August 25 to 30, 2012

I've read a lot of William Martin's books and this is now in my top two....I loved this book. I've really enjoyed all of the Peter and Evangeline books and I was so excited that I'd be going on a new adventure with them. The story, the history of it is more than compelling. William Martin writes in the beginning that he wants to you to be able to feel and smell and just get what Washington was all about during the Civil war and he more than accomplishes that I think. I cried in the end...I'm sitting in a park with a gazillion little kids buzzing around me and I just couldn't help it. Everybody knows Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves...if you don't, you have to be some kind of idiot...but this is the first time, and I've read other books dealing with the Civil War, that I really got the overwhelming ramifications of Emancipation. You'd have to be an idiot not to know that slavery sucked big time, but I think unless your black, or a civil war buff, you just don't think about how all those people who weren't allowed to learn, were treated like a possession, chattel...were expected to assimilate into society as free people...because it's not like just because Abe Lincoln forced freedom, that freed slaves were accepted...I just can't even process it in my head, even though I've always known there was a president who made a decision and wrote a proclamation, and it happened.
I love William Martin's writing, I respect his research...his books are so readable, and sometimes you don't even realize that your learning some good stuff! I live around Boston and Peter Fallon the antiquarian book dealer...No Pete, is based in Boston, it's always fun when you some of the locations and just kind of what his background is underneath his Harvard education! I absolutely loved this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Letter.