Kelli's Reviews > The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: general-non-fiction

Really really helpful. He breaks stuff down in a way that I can understand, and makes me really want to save money and see how his way works. Its all very practical. I do think we should start saving more. I think we should stop spending what we don't have, and his no credit card policy would be helpful for most people.

I don't have any major credit cards, only a few store ones. But I know, even with the store ones, my thought process on credit can't be trusted. Its too easy, with credit, to tell yourself that its ok...you'll pay it later. That adds up. Its what David Ramsey is trying to help us avoid.

The only thing I don't partially agree with is the no college debt. I actually came out of college with only around 10,000 in school loans. Which isn't bad at all. It was necessary for me to finish school that way, and now I have a degree. If I had waited to save up the money, I would still be waiting to go to college. I would not have a degree. I think some school debt is ok. Although racking up over 50,000+ in loans is obsessive.

Mr Ramsey is very wise, and this is definitely a book everyone should end up with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Total Money Makeover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra I LOVE Dave Ramsey's plan and highly recommend it. My husband and I started following it about six years ago and it has made a huge difference. We saved up $1,000 in an emergency fund and paid off $42,000 in credit card debt. Now we live on a cash only basis and it has allowed us to pay for car repairs, a cross country move, and several vet emergencies without using debt. After we buy furniture (with cash!) for our rented home (we own nothing, just an air mattress), we are going to build our 6 month emergency fund and then tackle the student loans.

My husband and I kind of agree with you on the student loans. We have over $40,000 in student loans with no degrees (bad choices) but don't necessarily view it in the same way as credit cards. Yes, we want to pay it all off because we're paying way too much in minimums every month and in interest. BUT we have no intent to buy a home so we count our student loans as our mortgage in the big overview of Ramsey's plan. We'll be tackling the student loans in the step normally set aside for paying off a home.

Anyways, sorry for the long reply but I had to add my own success story with this plan and money makeover! It was worth the sacrifices!

Kelli Thats awesome!! I was once told that student loans are good debt. Because at least it is furthering our education! :)