Becky's Reviews > Zone One

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: dnf, 2012-challenge
Read in August, 2012

Goodreads does not have a DNF (Did Not Finish) shelf so I added one to my shelves. I've read a lot of bad books, and usually I finish them anyway because I wanna know how the book ends (even a bad book can have a surprise ending.)

I got to 14% on my Kindle before I finally said, "Enough." I can't read it anymore. When I have a hard time determining the timeline of the story, you've lost me as a reader.

The book begins about an unnamed boy who is happy about visiting his uncle in New York City. Then next chapter is a military person in a NYC office building exterminating zombies (they're called 'skels' in the book.) I'm assuming that months or years have passed and assuming the unnamed military person in the office building is the unnamed boy from the beginning. The military person eventually is called 'Mark Spitz.' Then the story drifts and I can't tell the difference from what is happening NOW to near past or far past. The author is literally everywhere in the story. Its like he took his manuscript, tossed it up in the air, and after watching the pages fall down like massive snowflakes, whatever order he picked the pages up in, was the order they were published.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zone One.