Matt's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Aug 02, 2007

bookshelves: scifi-and-fantasy
Read in August, 2007

I read this book in the sixth grade, and I remember it distinctly. I tore through most, if not all of the series, and loved them all at the time. Later my fondness for them was increased by the fact that Robert Heinlein had also clearly read and loved them as a boy, as he referenced them pretty heavily. I don't know what edition I originally read, but my wife recently brought home the Penguin Classics edition, and I decided to reread it to see how well it reads for my older self.

It held up remarkably well. Burroughs has a remarkably clear and clean style, which combines in an interesting way with the almost dream-like construction of the story. His alien cultures are interestingly sketched out, to create a feeling of surprising depth to the world of Barsoom. While the story is very much a part of its time, it holds up well to a reader of today, and its influence on the science fiction that comes after it is apparent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.

message 1: by Dorian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dorian I'd like to borrow this one to see how I react to it after all this time.