Jo's Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in May, 2012

I first came across this book about 12 years ago, when I worked in a bookstore. I didn't read it. Back then, I was young enough that the idea of reading a "children's book" was unappealing -- I was newly into my adulthood, and wasn't prepared to jeopardise that title.

Now that I've read the book, I'd like to say that I wish I'd read it earlier. But, really? That would have robbed me of the opportunity to read it this year for the first time.

I loved this book.

Loved.

Ellie and her friends go into the Aussie bush for a camping trip, and come back to find something has gone horribly wrong. Their families are gone. Their city is empty. They investigate and find that their country has been invaded. Then they must make a decision: give themselves up, run and hide, or fight back.

The group of seven teenagers are so normal, so everyday, so very Australian that it was easy to believe that this was really happening. Easy to wonder what I would have done at that age, in that situation. Easy, in fact, to wonder what I would do now.

It's a great book, and the first in a great series. If you haven't read it, learn from my mistake: Don't write this off as "just a kids' book".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.