Abby Johnson's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Dec 12, 08

Read in December, 2008

Taylor Markham is a lost girl. Abandoned by her mother six years ago, she lives at the Jellicoe School and has no knowledge of her family. As the story slowly unravels, Taylor learns about her past and the origins of the war games that kids at the Jellicoe School play with the Townies and the Cadets.

There are two story lines - Taylor's present day struggle to figure out her family situation and find herself, and the story of what happened on Jellicoe Road 20-odd years ago. It's a complex novel and there's a lot to like about it. There's a nice romance and some really great characters. The first half of the book was confusing and frustrating and I would have put it down if I weren't urged to finish it by my fellow Cybils panelists. Eventually everything gets explained, but for me it took too long for everything to come together and the book was too long overall. Lots of people have loved this book, but for me the resolution wasn't worth the frustration in the first half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.