Sharon's Reviews > When God Was a Rabbit

When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

11983501
Aug 25, 2012

Read in August, 2012

I have just started this book and am absolutely loving it. It is a hilarious book, with Ellie being just too sharp and dry with her little asides. I honestly love a book that sucks me in - especially after that nonsense Fifty shades of Grey rubbish. This is one that I will lend, but will always demand to be returned.

Just finished it today. I absolutely LOVED this book. There are some conversations in there that I have marked, as I think they speak such truth. One in particular about the last paragraph of page 141, which continues onto page 142. It reminds me of "The Velveteen Rabbit", where those deeper life mysteries are discussed within conversation between close friends.

I love Sarah Winman's writing. The way she just puts in these unexpected hilarious little statements kept me laughing out loud. I wear reading glasses, and they kept fogging up at times. It made my mascara run, leaving my husband worried that I was upset about something!!!!

The bonus material at the end was great to read as well. Being a teacher myself, I think that the way in which she describes her writing process, her encouragement to others to write, and her love of writing were fantastic.

This is one book that must be read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Was a Rabbit.

Quotes Sharon Liked

Sarah Winman
“It was left to Nancy and me to pick up the pieces that my brother had become; to resurrect his shrunken spirit and pull his pale tear-stained face from beneath his pillow and give sense to a world that had given him none; he loved, yet he wasn't loved back.”
Sarah Winman, When God Was a Rabbit

Sarah Winman
“I'd been feeling like this for a while, the continual looking back, the stuckness of it all. I blamed it on the coming New Year, only four and a half months away, when the clocks would read zero and we would start again, could start again, but I knew we wouldn't. Nothing would. The world would be the same, just a little bit worse.”
Sarah Winman, When God Was a Rabbit