C.'s Reviews > Toward a Feminist Theory of the State

Toward a Feminist Theory of the State by Catharine A. MacKinnon

Oct 25, 12

bookshelves: feminism, own-or-access, 2012
Read from October 10 to 25, 2012

I'm mainly giving this four stars because I LOVED the chapter on methodology. Also the last chapter was great - and, finally, clear! - which left me well disposed towards the book as a whole.

But really, I have come to value clarity above all else, and this was not clear at all, on the whole. I would have loved some sub-headings, and to not have had to experience the feeling that the explanation was going to come in the next sentence, or the next - or the next. Seriously, when you say something that is as absurd at face value as "hierarchy came before difference" (paraphrasing) you should explain what you mean. Preferably immediately. Sure, from having read other feminism I can guess at what she means, but I would like to know for sure. And I know some of this comes from my lack of familiarity with philosophy, but not all, I am sure.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toward a Feminist Theory of the State.

10/12/2012 page 37
10.0% "Some epic burns from MacKinnon: "[Unlike Marx], Engels... considered women's status a social phenomenon that needed explanation. He just failed to explain it." (p13) and "Whatever one can say about Marx's treatment of women, his first failing and best defense are that the problems of women concerned him only in passing. Friedrich Engels can be neither so accused or excused." (p19)"

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. I've read extracts of both, but I'm really excited to have a whole book version!

message 2: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. That is good to know - I've read some other work of hers which is just wonderful, and completely easy to understand, so I'm really just not quite sure what's going on with this book.

message 3: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. OOH. Scandalous!

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam
The gossip is that she used theory from someone else, which is why it's hard to understand, because she didn't totally get it herself. But that's TOTALLY GOSSIP.

Is that not what most theorists do? It certainly seemed that way back when I was studying it...