Kyle's Reviews > Green: The Beginning and the End

Green by Ted Dekker

12194068
Aug 24, 2012

it was ok

Note: this review treats the whole series, of which this book is a part. No spoilers.

All in all, a bit disappointing. Dekker's strength is suspense; he kept me wanting to know what happened enough to read the whole series (Black, Red, White, Green) pretty quickly (~1600 pages). In the end, though, I'm not sure it was worth the time. He isn't a very good writer, his plots are predictable, the Christian imagery is a bit heavy-handed (extremely so at times), and aspects of the story went beyond my suspension of disbelief. He also steals unreservedly from C.S. Lewis but lacks Lewis' talent or creativity, so if you've read Lewis first, you're bound to be disappointed. However, Dekker's themes are heavy enough and his underlying theology strong enough that portions of the series could spark serious discussion if used in the right way. I cried several times, not because the writing was that good, but because the story (Jesus and redemption) is that good. It is one of Dekker's goals to retell that greatest of stories in all his books, and this he does consistently. For this, I'd give it 2 1/2 stars if I could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green.