Rchinella blondie's Reviews > Dare Me

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

2051460
Okay.. What to say.. Well, first off, I must admit, that this book grabbed and held my attention all the way through. I was eager to find out what happened. But it also wasnt at all what I thought it would be. The description of the book basically was going to take you on a journey through the dark and deceptive higher archy of teenage cheerleaders. and how their coach introduces them to the darker and more exotic world of what women become. which in essence was true. the story is from the perspective of Addy, who is one of the "A" list girls on the cheerleading team, and her BFF Beth, who is the "Top girl". The story does take you somewhat through the treachery of girls, and the politics and subterfuge that exists in there world. You experience the raw reality of what these "friends" do to blackmail, degrade, and manipulate each other. The author excels at this aspect of the story. Sadly, as the story progresses, the author starts to delve into the darker, more sinister aspects of young adult hood, but it is almost as if she chickens out. only barely hinting at topics such as recreational prescription drug use, drinking,older men, and sexual conduct as a wepon to to get what you want. It was frustrating to be lead into these story lines, become interested as to where she was going with all of this, and the be left with no real conclusion. my biggest complaint was that I verociously read this story, waiting for the big finally, but it never really came. I was left feeling like I was lead throught this tangled web only to have the author just drop all the lines and say, "Done!" I still cant really tell you what the book was actually about. but if your one who enjoys a book that is just an interesting slice of life with no real conclusion, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare Me.