Merisha28's Reviews > The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap by Paulette Mahurin

Sep 02, 12

Read from August 24 to September 02, 2012

I was given this book in exchange for a honest review. ~WaAR~

The author gave me this book and told me to try it. I'm not an avid reader when it comes to historical stories. I was rather skeptical that I would not like it, but I was pleasantly surprised! This book is the best historical read I have read! You get captivated in the struggle and the story. My heart was aching while reading this book and knowing what Mildred, Charley, Edra, and Gus was going through. This story shows you what thoughtless remarks and actions influence people into doing mean and hateful things. It also shows what prejudice comes from judging a book by its cover rather than what the person is like inside their soul. It also shows that society and gossip can hurt our personal lives.

This story is about Mildred, who is a plain looking woman who has a big heart. She has also been the butt of jokes because of her masculine looking body. Her and Edra live together in their father's house on their farm. When the news of Oscar Wildes gay rendezvous gets him imprisoned by Britain's society, the town of Red River is in an uproar. People are quick to judge and quick to punish. As Josie attempts to find fault and news against Mildred, Mildred tries to find a way out of the hatred that is circulating. Will Mildred and Edra make it out unscathed? Will Charley and Gus help? I give this book a whooping 5 star review!! Wonderful read!! I'm looking forward to more by this author!!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap.

message 1: by Paulette (new) - added it

Paulette Mahurin I'm thrilled that you wrote it's the best historical read you've read.

Paulette

Terry Mahurin Paulette wrote: "I'm thrilled that you wrote it's the best historical read you've read.

Paulette"

That's great!

Merisha28 you are very welcome!!!