Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)'s Reviews > Songs of the Humpback Whale

Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: fiction, jodi-picoult

I am normally a big JP fan, but this book just didn't do it for me. I know it was her first, and in my opinion, she vastly improved over time. First, I thought it was VERY difficult to be sympathetic to Jane's character. I know her backstory was supposed to make this happen, but in the end I just thought she was a whiny immature woman who didn't have the decency to just make up her mind already.

Second, I thought the Hadley-Rebecca relationship was super odd. I see the type of relationship Picoult was trying to create, but it still just seemed like an older guy was playing with a "kid". Sorry, if you want me to believe she's not a kid, don't have him giving her piggyback rides in every scene. On a similar note, I had a tough time with the Joley-Jane relationship.

Overall, I just felt less than wow'd at the end. I thought it was interesting to find out how Rebecca interpreted her parent's fight (the only real twist I noted at the conclusion), but that really wasn't enough to turn it around for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of the Humpback Whale.

12/12/2008 page 1